The Great Tokyo Earthquake (also known as the Red Hole) was an earthquake that occurred ten years prior to the Deadman Wonderland series (to be more precise, April 4th, 2014 at 5:09 pm). The earthquake rated an 11.4 seismic intensity and sank 70% of Tokyo. The quake left 148,000 persons dead or missing.
The quake was caused by a power-outburst resulting from Shiro attempting to kill herself. During the Earthquake, many Red Diamond shards were secreted by the Red Man and distributed all over. These shards were the cause of most of the Deadmens' Branch of Sin.
A similar earthquake occurred when The Red Man massacred the Deadman Wonderland Task Force squad. This earthquake was much less severe because the Mother Goose System was still active, leaving The Red Man's power at only 15%.
Part in story
The Great Tokyo Earthquake played a major part in a lot of the characters' history, acting as a turning point in each of their lives.
- Ganta Igarashi: Moved away from Tokyo.
- Hagire Rinichirō: Disfigurement of his body, destruction of his Medical Center.
- Tsunenaga Tamaki: Death of his mother, destruction of his computer, start of his game to kill the Wretched Egg.
- Yō Takami: Death of his mother.
- Senji Kiyomasa: Attainment of his Branch of Sin, transferred to Tokyo.
- Minatsuki Takami: Death of her mother, attainment of her Branch of Sin.
- Chaplin Sukegawa: Attainment of her Branch of Sin.
- Toto Sakigami: Death of his real older sister, attainment of his Branch of Sin.
- Azuma Genkaku: Destruction of his temple.
- Shishito Madoka: Death of his father.
- Chan and En: Attainment of their Branch of Sin and establishing their first connection with people through medical monitors.