The Great Tokyo Earthquake (also known as Red Hole) was an earthquake that occurred ten years prior to the current storyline (to be more precise, April 4th, 2014 at 5:09 pm). The quake rated an 11.4 seismic intensity with 148,000 dead and missing people. It was a failed attempt that was caused by Shiro's power-outburst, wanting to kill herself. The earthquake sank 70% of Tokyo.
A similar earthquake occurred when The Red Man massacred the DW Task Force squad. This earthquake was less severe, because the Mother Goose System was still working and The Red Man's power was only at 15%.
Part in story
The Great Tokyo Earthquake played a major part in a lot of the characters history, acting as a turning point in each of their lives.
- Ganta Igarashi: Moved away from Tokyo.
- Hagire Rinichirō: Disfigurement of his body, destruction of his Medical Center.
- Tsunenaga Tamaki: Death of his mother, destruction of his computer, start of his game to kill the Wretched Egg.
- Yō Takami: Death of his mother.
- Senji Kiyomasa: Attainment of his Branch of Sin, transferred to Tokyo.
- Minatsuki Takami: Death of her mother, attainment of her Branch of Sin.
- Chaplin Sukegawa: Attainment of her Branch of Sin.
- Toto Sakigami: Death of his real older sister, attainment of his Branch of Sin.
- Azuma Genkaku: Destruction of his temple.
- Shishito Madoka: Death of his father.
- Chan and En: Attainment of their Branch of Sin and establishing their first connection with people through medical monitors.